Pilka & Associates, P.A.
Call for a Consultation:
Main Menu

Divorced and plan to relocate? Here's what you need to know

Today's 21st century society operates on a global scale. Many people are much more mobile than they have been in years past. Some are moving across the country; others are relocating clear across the globe.

However, for divorced parties, relocating out-of-state or to another country when there are children involved may be tricky.

In the state of Florida, a parent isn't allowed to move more than 50 miles from the other parent without jumping through a few hurdles.

First, written notice of intent to relocate must be filed with the court and sent to the other spouse. After notification, the receiving spouse has 30 days to object to the move. If there's an objection, a relocation hearing is scheduled. Depending on the court schedule and significance of the issue, this could take time. Multiple appearances could be required by both sides.

Typically, a court looks at the best interests of the children involved when making the decision to grant the relocation. It's more likely that a court will allow the move if it's to take a new job or career-related than for other personal reasons.

However, until the issue is finalized, the requesting party cannot take any action regarding the move. A parent who acts prior to a court's approval is likely to face serious sanctions.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Initial Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Our Locations

Pilka & Associates, P.A.
213 Providence Road
Brandon, FL 33511

Phone: 863-236-9321
Fax: 813-651-0710
Brandon Law Office Map

Lakeland Office
256 North Kentucky Avenue
Lakeland, FL 33801

Phone: 863-236-9321
Lakeland Law Office Map

Phone Numbers

Local Number 863-236-9321

Local Number 813-502-1097

Fax Number 813-651-0710

  • Proud to Support our Troops
  • bbb accredited business
  • a plus
  • The Greater Riverview | Chamber of commerce
  • LakeLand | Area Chamber of Commerce
  • Naela | National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
  • BNI
  • brandon chamber of commerce