Pilka & Associates, P.A.
Call for a Consultation:
Main Menu

Protecting a college fund during a divorce

Florida parents who have established a college savings account for their child may be concerned about what will happen to the account if they divorce. When parents end their marriage, all marital assets must be divided, including savings accounts that were meant to cover a child's future educational expenses. A divorcing parent may be concerned that their soon-to-be ex-spouse will use a college fund for their own expenses or to pay for the educational expenses of future children or stepchildren.

Divorcing parents may be able to include provisions about how a college fund should be used in their separation agreement. A separation agreement is a legal contract that stipulates how marital property will be divided after a divorce. When divorcing parents have a college fund, the separation agreement might explain how the fund should be used and what kinds of withdrawals are permissible.

There are several different kinds of college funds, and some are more flexible than others. For example, 529 savings plans and Coverdell ESAs allow a parent to change the beneficiary and withdraw funds whenever they want to. On the other hand, a custodial 529 plan holds money that must be used for a specific child, and the beneficiary on a custodial account cannot be changed.

A divorcing parent who has concerns about their child's college fund may want to contact a Hillsborough County high asset divorce firm. An attorney may be able to represent a parent during property division negotiations and ensure that a child's college fund is dealt with appropriately.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Initial Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Our Locations

Pilka & Associates, P.A.
213 Providence Road
Brandon, FL 33511

Phone: 863-236-9321
Fax: 813-651-0710
Brandon Law Office Map

Lakeland Office
256 North Kentucky Avenue
Lakeland, FL 33801

Phone: 863-236-9321
Lakeland Law Office Map

Phone Numbers

Local Number 863-236-9321

Local Number 813-502-1097

Fax Number 813-651-0710

  • Proud to Support our Troops
  • bbb accredited business
  • a plus
  • The Greater Riverview | Chamber of commerce
  • LakeLand | Area Chamber of Commerce
  • Naela | National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
  • BNI
  • brandon chamber of commerce