Pilka & Associates, P.A.
Full Service Law Firm for Tampa,
Brandon and Polk County
863-236-9321 |813-502-1097

Trouble with a homeowner's association? You can fight back

You and your homeowner's association (HOA) have always been on good terms, but lately, you've felt like you're a target. You had a notice to take down the shutters you put on your house, because they didn't match the neighbors. You were asked not to build a playhouse in your yard.

You feel like your HOA has gone too far, and you believe that you're being harassed at this point. What should you do? Can you pursue legal help and sue or ask them to cease what they're doing?

Did you know that you can file a lawsuit against a homeowner's association?

Since a homeowner's association is technically a legal entity, you can sue it like you would sue a person. So, if your HOA is discriminating against you, violating its own terms or causing other problems, you can pursue a claim against it.

HOAs have been known to sue residents over things such as using the wrong shade of paint or using the wrong lawn ornaments and refusing to remove them.

What happens if you get into a disagreement with your homeowner's association?

Disagreements are something that can happen, but in most cases, they're resolvable outside court. If you are having trouble with your HOA, speak with your attorney about negotiating. Many HOAs have specific rules, but if you believe that they should not apply to you or that the rules should be changed, a conversation may be all that is needed to help change the situation from one that is negative to one that is productive with a positive outcome.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn How We Can Help - Schedule A Consultation Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

contact us
Offices located in Brandon & Lakeland