Trusted Representation In Florida Since 1987

When is a property owner liable for a slip-and-fall accident?

On Behalf of | May 29, 2020 | Personal Injury |

A fall while in a public or private setting is not an unusual occurrence. For some people, the only consequence is some embarrassment or mild pain. However, a slip-and-fall accident can leave others in Florida suffering serious injuries, with long-term physical and financial consequences.

Property owners have a responsibility to maintain their property conditions in a way that promotes the safety of those who are on the premises. An owner could be considered negligent in certain situations that resulted in a fall. For example, a wet floor without appropriate signage or warning, bulging or torn carpet and inadequate lighting are all factors that could potentially result in a fall.

If a person falls and is injured, he or she could be entitled to a monetary award if it can be established that the property owner was aware of a potentially dangerous condition and failed to take appropriate action to remedy it. However, there are other factors that will be considered when determining if an award is warranted such as how long the condition was present. Additionally, whether or not the alleged victim had any responsibility in the fall — otherwise referred to as comparative negligence — is also considered. If comparative negligence is determined to have played a role in the accident, the amount of the award is reduced accordingly.

Many people in Florida who have been the victim of a slip-and-fall accident have suffered broken bones requiring multiple surgeries, among other injuries. The consequences of a fall can reduce a person’s quality of life and may even impact his or her ability to earn a living. As such, those who suspect that negligence played a role in their injuries may choose to consult with a personal injury attorney who can evaluate the circumstances of the incident and help them take appropriate legal action.


RSS Feed

Office Building of Pilka Adams & Reed, P.A.