Trusted Representation In Florida Since 1987

Was a property owner liable for injuries that result from a fall?

On Behalf of | Jul 28, 2023 | Personal Injury |

Florida property owners and business owners owe a duty of care to visitors and guests. They must make sure their premises are free from hazards that could cause someone to suffer injury. A primary issue of concern is debris, other objects or surface conditions that might cause a person to fall.

What if a person slips and falls on a wet floor in an office building or department store when there were no warning signs or hazard tape to alert the individual that the floor was wet? In such cases, a business owner might be found financially responsible for damages if the recovering victim files a personal injury claim in civil court. Even a private homeowner may be responsible for injuries that result from a fall, such as if someone falls down a set of broken stairs when leaving the house.

Relevant issues in personal injury claims involving falls

There many issues that place people at risk for slipping or falling and suffering injuries:

  • Potholes or cracks in the pavement
  • Poor lighting after dusk
  • Uneven floors, decks or concrete
  • Object or debris lying in a walkway

Businesses must comply with local ordinances and safety codes. Violations of these codes may lead to citations or fines. It also often leads to litigation when some who falls and suffers injury files a legal claim for monetary damages in civil court.

How to file a personal injury claim

If you have questions regarding Florida premises liability or personal injury laws, you can request a meeting with Pilka Adams & Reed, P.A., an experienced legal team that provides strong support to those who have suffered damages because of accidents involving slips and falls. If you’re unsure whether you have grounds to file a claim, consider scheduling a free consultation. The team can review your case and recommend appropriate legal action, as needed.


RSS Feed

Office Building of Pilka Adams & Reed, P.A.